Did You Know?
Guardian Healthcare has a 7% readmission rate for patients readmitted to an acute care setting within 30 days of start of care with a diagnosis of Heart Failure, Pneumonia, or Myocardial Infarction (with the same readmitting diagnosis).
Why Patients Go Back to the Hospital*
- Patients may not completely understand what is wrong with them
- Patients may be confused about what medicines they should take and when they should take them, and they may not take the right medication at the right time
- Hospital staff may not communicate important information to patients’ primary care providers
- Patients may not schedule needed follow-up appointments with their primary care providers or specialists
- Hospital staff may not inform patients or their primary care providers of test results that could affect their care
- Family members may not know how to help provide care at home
Dartmouth Atlas of Health Care, Care About Your Care, September 2011